Sustainability at Lumberjack
more than just a buzz word
Our Lumberjack team lives and works everyday by the principles of sustainability. The three pillars of economical, ecological and social responsibility are the base for our everyday work. We are sure, that we need to take care for our nature and therefor we need a longlasting and proactive gastronomic concept. Only by this way, we are able to offer a valuable livelihood and an economic basis for our future generations.
Products from the region for the region
Talking about sustainability means for us, that we work in a economically successful company that protects the environment by a sophisticated concept, is open all year round and establishes longlasting and save workplaces for suppliers and employees.
We offer only organic food and drinks at Lumberjack, which have mainly a regional background. The vegetable organic products are produced without any chemical plant protection products.
Animals have more roaming when organically farmed, eat only organic feed and the use of medicals is stricter than for the convenient agriculture. Organic agriculture protects our environment and offers a valuable economic basis for our region. By consuming regional products, we reduce transport distances, generate regional added values and save our workplaces. In the selection of suppliers we take care for fair prices and a respectful contact.
sustainability from the beginning
We tried to work as sustainable as possible when building the Lumberjack. It started with the planning of a mountain restaurant that is really needed in this area. While the ski huts on the Shuttleberg were already fully filled before the “Panorma Link”, a connecting cable car into the Snow Space Salzburg ski area, was built, the number of guests has increased again thanks to the new connecting cable car. In order to provide all guests in the ski area with refreshments and a seat, it was necessary to set up a restaurant on the Shuttleberg.
During the planning and construction of the Lumberjack, we took care to ensure that the added value remains in the region - we only worked with regional companies and craftsmen (you can find a detailed list of these companies here). When choosing the materials and the architecture, we tried to combine the traditional elements of Alpine architecture with the latest technology.
With the help of the planning and implementation, the necessary seats could be implemented on 3 levels in such a way that the space consumption and the floor sealing remained as low as possible. Due to the large number of seats, all areas of the supply (heating, sanitary, kitchen, bar, driveway, transport trips, etc.) are optimally used.
GReen destination - lumberjack
We are officially a Green Destination! In summer we made the sustainability certification Good Travel Seal - a certification especially for small and medium-sized companies, which, in addition to the ecological aspects of sustainability, also puts the social sustainability in the foreground.
As one of the few companies in the Alpine region, we have received the highest award with 3 out of 3 stars and achieved a total of 97% out of 100%.
You find the most important aspects from this extensive certification here:
Leuchtturm - SUMMER AT THE LUMBERJACK
Our pilot project of the walkable and experienceable kitchen garden, with greenhouses and the mobile stables, was awarded as a lighthouse project. Winner in sustainability and resilience in tourism.
WHAT WE DO
We have dealt extensively with how we can design and run our organic mountain restaurant Lumberjack in a sustainable manner. To do this, we work with partners who primarily come from the region and who also share our values.
- Wood-concrete construction - the wood-concrete bricks consist of 70% regional wood
- Larch wood cladding
- Durable, timeless and natural materials that come from the region (wood, glass, loden, concrete, steel)
- Regional craft businesses for all areas of building construction (a full list of all craftsmen can be found here)
- No artificial decorations - design elements are made of wood and handcrafted
- Use of renewable energies and a sophisticated energy concept (photovoltaic systems on the terrace railings with extension on the roof, log stoves with local wood, air heat pump, low-temperature heating with concrete core activation in the false ceilings, heat recovery from cooling and ventilation)
- Concept for long-term, economically viable operation
- Fair prices for customers and suppliers
- Year-round operation
- Secure and attractive jobs in the region
- Full transparency through cashless payment
Appreciative and fair dealings with all employees, customers and suppliers
Fair remuneration for employees, employee rooms when available
Fair prices for the guests - appreciation of the high quality of the food
Social togetherness through the large tables and eating in "family style"
- fresh, regional food made from seasonal products
- no convenience products
- focus on plant based food and drinks
- Preservation of regional agriculture, which mainly consists of smallholders
- Preservation of the knowledge about the cultivation of the areas in the steep alpine regions
- Preservation of knowledge about the processing of products (milk, meat, herbs, wool, eggs) from regional agriculture